Saturday, July 30, 2022

Tri-Bahtinov Mask - First Light



While using a "normal" Bahtinov mask for a long time, I was wondering what about an upgrade and using a Tri-Bahtinov mask. 
I read about the use of a Tri-Bahtinov mask on the website from Joost Drogenberg. Using the Bathinov Mask Drawing Generator - https://satakagi.github.io/tribahtinovWebApps/Tri-Bahtinov.html - I was able to prepare one for my TAL200K f/8.5 telescope. A local company did the lasercutting work based on the svg file. 

This evening I did a comparison test  between both Bahtinov masks on the bright star Vega. With the normal Bahtinov, the centerline is good centered and thus in focus. Using the Tr-Bahtinov mask I get 6 groups of spikes each containing 3 lines. The principle is the same as before: make sure the centerline of each spike group is positioned in the center. According to some forums, the use of tri-bahtinov masks is made for Schmidt Cassegrain scopes to collimate for all axes.