Monday, September 4, 2017

Error Press Shutter Release Button Again

Two days before the Solar Eclipse @ Rexburg (ID) my Nikon D60 gave the error "Press Shutter Release Button Again". I tried everything to fix the problem but unfortunately the error did not go away. Via Youtube the problem could be fixed by greasing the gear of the shutter motor. But I had no tools and even if this would work, was it reliable in view of the upcoming solar eclipse.

It was decided to buy a new camera and as we were heading from Moab to Salt Lake City I was luckily and found a Nikon Store "Pictureline" in Salt Lake City. I managed to get there on time (closing 14h30) and after a good discussion with the salesman and the Denish owner I bought a Nikon D7500 including a spare battery. I got a fair deal and a quick training on the most important features. Specific those aspects I needed for the solar eclipse.


Today I was able to open my Nikon D60 and to grease the gear of the shutter motor. However this did not solve the problem. My understanding is that the either the motor life span is over and/or the gearbox itself is weared out. With 50468 shutter counts and a lifetime of 11 years, I'm questioning if I should be dissapointed or not? Hopefully my new Nikon D7500 will last more then 10 years :)