Wednesday, June 27, 2018

ISS Crossing Sun's Disk

Beginning this week I got an automatic email from CalSky mentioning that during the week the ISS will be crossing the Sun's disk of which the centerline was about 800m from my home. The max. distance the ISS is still on the disk, is about 1,3km from the centerline based on my earlier calculations. So I decided to do the set up from my backyard.
Set up used was my refractor TS/TLAPO 80/480 f/6 with ASI224MC and Baader ND5 Solarfilm.
Frames are set 15 per second usng SharpCap capturing software. Capturing started 1 minute before crossing. During capturing I could not see any crossing of the ISS.
I used AutoStakkert to look into each frame in order to find out of the ISS was captured. Only one frame showed the ISS. The ones before and after did not captured the ISS. Not sure why, could be that ISS is considered as bad frames and was kicked out. For that I need to do some more investigation.

So the result is shown below (frame #1646) and the good news... it's on the picture. The bad news... I have greater expectations :)