Saturday, June 23, 2018

Fireball June 16, UT21h11 - My Tweet in HLN

As mentioned earlier in my blog I observed a very bright fireball last Saturday, June 16, 2018 UT21h11 (local time 23h11).  In the many years as an amateur astronomer, this was my first real fireball observation and I was really impressed.

Credit U. Reichert


The fireball was reported by 201 people on the IMO (International Meteor Organization) and the event is catogorized under the number 2065 -2018 see the link.

Heatmap of observations is shown below and the traject is probably from south-east toward North-West and the meteor ended above the city of Luik (Liege/Lüttich). I'm located north-west of Luik and saw the meteor moving from north west towards south east.



Different newspapers reported the observation as well ... some highlights.
Even  my tweet,  posted on 23h13 was picked up by the local newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws" .... nice :)




See also video taken during concert of Foo Fighters during Pink Pop in the Netherlands.