Saturday, April 11, 2020

How to Upload Comets in Stellarium

Last months, several comets can be observed during nightsky. Comets C/2019 Y1, Y4 and C/2017 T2 (Panstarrs) to mention some of them. Since the mentioned comets are not really bright, and certainly not visible with the naked eye, it is difficult to find them. Mostly I'm looking for a bright star nearby and via “The Sky Live” I go for more detail maps. This usually works, but it remains cumbersome. In a conversation with Helios collegue Walter, I addressed this problem and he gave me the tip to look up the comets through Planetarium Software Stellarium. But as it turned out, there are no comets in Stellarium, at least not standard. There is however an option to upload comets. 

How do you proceed? 
Click on plug-ins via the Stellarium control panel (F2). Select "edit solar system" and configure. Then choose solar system and click import from MPC format. Make your choice known by clicking on comets and browse through the database. I use the MPC database. Select "track elements obtained" and then select update existing objects. Now select your favorite comet and add the orbit elements. Close the screens and close Stellarium. 


 After start-up, search for your comet via the search screen. Please note that the format must be correct: so use C/2019 Y4 or P/xxx. I have uploaded the comets above in the described way and I can say that it works beautifully. And since I control my mount with Stellarium, it go straight  to the comet. With good alignment, this is always a "hit".