Sunday, August 6, 2023

Website J Giesen Physics and Astronomy - Use of Applets via Chrome

Sometimes I surprise myself about the functioning of a website and I underestimate the value and power of a website. I'm talking about J.Giesen's website (http://www.jgiesen.de/welcomeEnglish.htm) which provides a huge information about the Physics and Astronomy and more specific on everything related to the sun and it's calculations.
The website is referring to different Java applets. I knew this but only now I figured out how to run them. So what did I do?
- I add CheerpJ Applet Runner (free of charge) to my Chrome browser (edge is also possible)

- Next, I go to a webpage of J.Giesen's website with a specific applet and click on "extentions" and o double click on CheerpJ Applet Runner. What happens now is that the applet will be opened. Real cool.



These applets are a real help in understand calculations of spherical astronomy and solar calculations. A real cool applet is the one of the Meridian of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri in Rome which gives you a details.