Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan Atlas with anti tail

Yesterday evening I planned my trip after investigating the weather forecast using different models. Only two of the models forecasted the same weather : alaro and meteoblue. West of Brussels was the best chance of having a clear sky. This morning weather forecast changed but at noon conditions became better again. So I took my chance a drove to Denderleeuw were I met with my colleague Walter. After a drink and a small snack we drove south towards Nederhasselt, near Ninove. 
In an open field with a 270° view and no clouds this was our chance to see Comet C/2023 Tsuchinshan Atlas. Only at UT17h43 we could spot the comet using my camera. As from then, it went better and better and we were able to see the comet with the naked eye and a tail of 20°. Using the camera the anti tail was visible aswell. 
It was worth doing the trip and both were very satisfied!